We Men is a short length performance film that highlights, explores and gives room for questioning the internal crises that a number of men have to deal with as it relates to communicating and accepting their feminine self (i.e Anima). As Karl Jung’s theory posed, the Anima and Animus have to be integrated into one personality to achieve one’s full potentials and become whole.
The film starts with a ‘masculine’ performer already seated, then slowly the ‘Animus’ reveals itself and the reactions of the masculine performer takes us on the journey of these two entities. The masculine performer constantly tries to silence the Anima. Even when it looks like there’s a sort of connection, eventually, the Male subject strangles/breaks the Anima to remain unchanged and unevolved.
Both characters mainly represent ‘Shadow and Self’.
- #Title: We Men
- #Director: Oluwaseun Usman
- #Choreography: Oluwaseun Usman, Moremi Amisu
- #Production: Usmanii
- #Country of Production: Nigeria
- #Year of Production: 2020
- #Duration: 00:03:30
- #Dance and Acting: Oluwaseun Usman, Moremi Amisu
- #Camera: Tomisin Soyoye
- #Editing: Oluwaseun Usman
- #Music: Nina Simone - Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair