‘Flatland’ is an experimental short dance film co-directed by Alireza Keymanesh and Amir Pousti in February 2017.
Flatland has been made based on a book of the same name written by Edwin Abbott in 1884. The story describes a two-dimensional world occupied by geometric figures. The narrator is a square named A Square, a member of the caste of gentlemen and professionals, who guides the readers through some of the implications of life in two dimensions. The first half of the story goes through the practicalities of existing in a two-dimensional universe. On New Year’s Eve he visited by a three-dimensional sphere named A Sphere, which he cannot comprehend until he sees Space land (a tridimensional world) for himself. This Sphere visits Flatland at the turn of each millennium to introduce a new apostle to the idea of a third dimension in the hopes of eventually educating the population of Flatland. From the safety of Space land, they are able to observe the leaders of Flatland secretly acknowledging the existence of the sphere and prescribing the silencing of anyone found preaching the truth of Space land and the third dimension. After this proclamation is made, many witnesses are massacred or imprisoned (according to caste), including A Square’s brother, B. The Square then has a dream in which the Sphere visits him again, this time to introduce him to Point land, whereof the point (sole inhabitant, monarch, and universe in one) perceives any communication as a thought originating in his own mind (cf. Solipsism). The Square recognizes the identity of the ignorance of the monarchs of Point land and Line land with his own (and the Sphere’s) previous ignorance of the existence of higher dimensions. Seven years after being imprisoned, A Square writes out the book Flatland in the form of a memoir, hoping to keep it as posterity for a future generation that can see beyond their two-dimensional existence.
- #Title: Flatland
- #Director: Alireza Keymanesh, Amir Pousti
- #Choreography: Alireza Keymanesh
- #Production: 33Projects
- #Country of Production: Iran
- #Year of Production: 2017
- #Duration: 00:14:34
- #Dance and Acting: Leaders: Kourosh Mohammadi, Saeed Taherkhani, Pedram Samadi, Sima Sadeghi, Hedieh Bakhtiari, Elham Iravani, Sanaz Eslami, Nasim Arian, Shuka Karimi / Performers: Aila Ahmadi, Anahita Ashtar Nakhaei, Banafshe Ansari, Zahra Asadi, Zahra Etminan, Sara Akbarnejad, Fatemeh Alba, Melina Ale Ali, Mina Ashour, Nazila Ahmadi, Aida Boukani, Parnaz Bonyab, Samaneh Banaei, Samaneh Bigdeli, Samira Bahrami, Fatemeh Bakhtiari, Fatemeh Pourhasan, Mahtab Bakhshande, Heliya Pourkarimi, Arkia Jaberi, Jeyran Jamali Raoufi, Zahra Janmohammadi, Maryam Javanmard, Aida Charkhgari, Marjan Chaharsooghi, Zahra Khozoue, Marjan Khaksari, Negar Khalilzadeh, Negin Khalilzadeh, Elahe Dehghani, Diba Delvari, Sahar Dadban, Mahshid Dabaghkaran, Mona Davarpour, Nafiseh Dehghani, Azin Rafati, Elnaz Rezaei, Amira Rezaei, Shirin Rafiei, Niloufar Rajabalibanan, Zahra Salimian, Farzaneh Soheyli, Mahdieh Saghian, Azadeh Shirmohamad pour, Shima Shahrokhi, Nasrin Shojaei, Roja Sadeghi, Fatemeh Sadeghi, Mona Salavati, Shirin Tayebi, Sara Ebadi, Sahel Alikhani, Hanieh Enayati, Bita Farde Amini, Rabee Fesharaki, Tina Ghasemi, Matin Keymanesh, Mona Karimi, Mahshid Kazemi, Yasaman Kashi, Elham Mahmoodi, Parastoo Moghani Mamaghani, Raheleh Moradi, Samaneh Moradi, Fatemeh Mehrabi, Mahoor Mirzanejad, Nouran Mehmandoozt, Nushin Minaeifard, Yasaman Mohajerani, Samira Najari, Nirvana Naqavi, Aida Valeh, Atefeh Vakilian
- #Camera: Amir Pousti
- #Music: Peter Pirhosseinloo
- #Trailer: www.vimeo.com/751018156