Inspired by Merce Cunningham’s 50 Looks, still/moving explores the stillness–movement spectrum through a series of sculptures. The work displaces the livingroomness of pandemic dance and invites the viewer to consider the three-dimensionality of space and self. Following the practices of John Cage and Merce Cunningham, the visual and audio elements of the work were created and recorded independently of one another, and chance procedures (using the I Ching and a deck of playing cards) informed initial choreographic choices.
Special thanks to Maureen Gonsalves and the humans and animals of Kumaran Estate, Coorg.
- #Title: still/moving
- #Director: Ainesh Madan
- #Choreography: Ainesh Madan
- #Country of Production: India
- #Year of Production: 2020
- #Duration: 00:07:07
- #Dance and Acting: Dayita Nereyeth, Guest performance: Lola, Lucy, and Sheeba
- #Camera: Ainesh Madan
- #Sound: Mario Schenker
- #Webpage: www.aineshmadan.com